William Kingston's Railway Mills in Singleton

aka Kingston's Steam Flour Mill

Singleton Mills homepage > Mills at Singleton > Kingston's Railway Mills at Singleton township

William Kingston had managed the Phoenix Steam Flour Mill in Singleton, NSW, for the owner, Mary Ann Burdekin for over 20 years.

Then in 1877, William Kingston established his own steam-powered flour mill and an adjoining residence, further down in John Street. He named his new mill, the 'Railway Mills'.

Flour mills built in Singleton in the 1800s included one watermill and seven steam flour mills

The locations of eight mills built in Singleton township in the 1800s.

Descriptions of the Railway Mills

Key Facts about the Railway Mill at Singleton

The mill was located at 128 John Street, Singleton.

The mill building was 60 feet long by 21 feet wide, and 38 feet 3 inches high.

The building was made of brick on a stone foundation, with three stories and an attic (four floors) and a galvanised iron roof. A chimney, 50 feet high, stood beside the mill building.

The steam engine was 12 horse power, "working up to 14 horse power". It had three pairs of millstones. The engine also ran a pumping system which supplied water to the town.

A three stroey steam flour mill in Adlinga, SA.

Above: No photographs have yet been found of the Railway Mills at Singleton. However, based on descriptions of this mill, it may have been similar in appearance to this White's Steam Flour Mill in Adlinga, SA. Image source: State Library of South Australia.

Read a detailed 1878 description of William Kingston's new Railway Mill, here.

Sadly, William Kingston did not have long to enjoy his new mill and residence. He died in 1880 – less than three years after he opened his Railway Mill.

After the death of William Kingston, the Railway Mills was managed by:
-- John Atkin and William Horder,
-- and then later by Joel Atkin and Charles Atkin.

Advertisement about the Railway Steam Mills at Singleton

Above: John Atkin and Son placed this advertisement for the Railway Steam Flour Mills in the Singleton Argus , 5 January 1889.

In later years, the mill building was used as a warehouse. Then, in 1907, it burned down in a massive fire.

To read the full story of the Railway Mill, including dramatic accounts of its fiery end, download our free PDF:

William Kingston's Railway Mill at Singleton.

Researched by Anne and Les Dollin

Further Reading
Overview of Mills at SingletonThe Kurrajong MillsThe Wisemans Ferry Mills