The Phoenix Mill:
on the site of Benjamin Singleton's Union Mill

aka Kingston's Mill, Storey's Mill, C. H. Martin's Mill

Singleton Mills homepage > Mills at Singleton > The Phoenix Flour Mill at Singleton township

In 1853, Mary Ann Burdekin opened her new steam-powered flour mill, the 'Phoenix Mill', in John Street, Singleton, NSW.

Flour mills built in Singleton in the 1800s included one watermill and seven steam flour mills

The locations of eight mills built in Singleton township in the 1800s.

It was built on the site of Benjamin Singleton's earlier Union Steam Mill which burned down in 1852:

To read the full story of Benjamin Singleton's Union Steam Flour Mill, including a dramatic account of the fire and the history of other mills established by the Singletons, download our free PDF:

The Singleton Family Flour Mills at Singleton –
The Hidden History.

Singleton Family Flour Mills at Singleton - the hidden history

Mary Ann Burdekin engaged William Kingston to manage and operate the Phoenix Mill. He continued in this role for 25 years.

Advertisement about the Phoenix Steam Mills at Singleton

Above: an advertisement about the Phoenix Steam Mills placed by William Kingston in The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser, 8 January 1859.

Descriptions of the Phoenix Mills

Key Facts about the Phoenix Mill at Singleton

This mill was located at 248 John Street, Singleton, near today's Dunolly Bridge.

The mill building was 56 feet long by 22 feet wide. It was made of brick with three storeys and an attic (four floors) with a galvanised iron roof. A chimney, approximately 40 feet high, stood beside the mill building.

The mill was powered by a steam engine and, in 1875, it had two pairs of millstones. The engine also ran a pumping system which supplied water to the town.

In 1890, more modern machinery, including a Three High Roller Mill, was installed. At this time, the Phoenix mill had a steam engine of 25 horse power and it also had three pairs of millstones.

The Phoenix Steam Flour Mill at Singleton NSW

Above: The Phoenix Steam Flour Mill, established by Mary Ann Burdekin, in Singleton. Photograph courtesy of The University of Newcastle Special Collections, John Turner Collection.

The Burdekin family continued to own the Phoenix Mill and the land around it until 1899.

During this time, a series of managers operated the Phoenix Mill. The managers included:
-- William Kingston,
-- Henry Storey and Francis Crago,
-- Charles H. Martin,
-- Edward Franz, and
-- Joseph Parr.

Read a detailed description of a major upgrade done to the Phoenix Mill by Henry Storey in 1890, here.

In 1877, William Kingston established his own steam mill further down John Street. He called it the 'Railway Mills'. Read more about the Railway Mills, here.

Milling operations in the Phoenix Mill came to an end in 1897. James Moore purchased the Phoenix Mill and converted into a butter factory and creamery. Then in later years the mill building was used as a warehouse.

Finally, the severe Hunter River flood of 1955 caused the destruction of the Phoenix Mill building.

The historic Phoenix Flour Mill in Singleton was destrooyed in the 1955 flood. Image courtesy of the Singleton Historical Society.

Above: The destruction caused to the old Phoenix Flour Mill building in Singleton by the devastating 1955 flood. The building at that time was used as a warehouse. Image courtesy of the Singleton Historical Society & Museum.

The Phoenix Steam Flour Mills had survived for over 100 years, supplying flour and dairy products to the township of Singleton.

To read the full fascinating history of the Phoenix Mill,
download our free PDF:

The Historic Phoenix Mill of Singleton.

Researched by Anne and Les Dollin

Further Reading
Overview of Mills at SingletonThe Kurrajong MillsThe Wisemans Ferry Mills